Saturday, August 31, 2013

16 Years

I had a friend who used to live around the corner from me. Her younger sister was friends with my younger brother. Her family and our family were all close. I forget exactly when, it must have been when I was in fourth grade, the family moved to Cleveland, Ohio. I remember visiting them in Ohio the summer before I went to fifth grade. I had never seen or heard from them until a few years ago. My friend friend requested me on Facebook. It was a pleasant surprise to see her name again. Even then, we never really talked much. A few days ago, she wrote on my wall on Facebook saying she'd be in town today. She wanted to know if I wanted to hang out. I agreed and we saw each other tonight for the first time in 16 years. You would think that since we haven't since each other since we were 10 and we hardly ever talk, that it'd be awkward. It wasn't awkward at all. In fact, it was as if we see each other quite often. Conversation flowed without any awkward silences. For those of you that know me, you know that I am extremely shy and sometimes don't talk much. It's amazing how powerful Facebook can be. If there was no Facebook, she would not have friend requested me and we would not have met each other tonight. It was very cool to see an old friend that I hadn't seen in 16 years. Do you have old friends that you wish you could see again?

No comments:

Post a Comment