Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Motivation Breakthrough

A teacher in my school sent me a link to a selection of YouTube clips called Motivation Breakthrough. I didn't plan on watching all of the videos that lasted over an hour total in one sitting, but I did. It talked about the many unique types of motivation for kids. Kids aren't lazy. They are motivated to do what they do. Everyone does whatever they do for a specific reason. They are motivated to make that decision. The guy also talked about how there are kids who need power and are argumentative. He gave us little tips for how to give them a little bit of power and to avoid confrontations with them. He talked about how if a kid is hungry, he/she will not be motivated. If they have to go to the bathroom or they are thirsty, they won't be motivated. It made me look at what I'm doing differently. As a teacher, it's so hard to give kids those freedoms of using the bathroom when they have to, letting them get water when they are thirsty, etc. He recommended buying snacks and bringing them in for hungry students. However, if I feed one, I have to feed all. That would get extremely pricey to buy snacks for 21 kids every single day. Every single person in the world has different motivations. As teachers, we try to motivate kids based on what motivates us. It doesn't work that way. I'm glad I watched those videos.

No comments:

Post a Comment