Thursday, February 26, 2015

Hwo to Say Numbers

When I was teaching place value to my kids earlier this year, I drilled in them how to say numbers. They would always say "and" in the number. For example: 42,357 they would say, "forty-two thousand three hundred AND fifty-seven. You don't say "and" if there is no decimal point! I often say and when saying numbers purposely to see if they are paying attention. If they are, they correct me. What typically happens is one person notices, and then when the rest of the class hears the one person say, "You said and" there's a 2 second delay, then the entire class says it. Because I had no idea they weren't paying attention. It's funny. It will be interesting when I teach decimals later in the year because you have to say and at the decimal point. That will throw them off! Just like I thought, I already wrote about this topic. Oh well. I'm running out of ideas after 952 posts!

No comments:

Post a Comment