Sunday, September 7, 2014

Call Me, Maybe

How do you turn an incredibly awful song into something more bearable? You change the lyrics of course! Last night at about 10 o'clock, I was insanely tired. I was about to go to bed. Then all of a sudden, I decided to try to create a place value song for my students. I started doing this with the song "Irreplaceable" by Beyonce because the lyrics "To the left, to the left" relate to place value. I got a little ways through the song and realized that it was too fast of a song and way too high for me. Then I tried to think of another popular song. That's when "Call Me, Maybe" came to mind. Every kid knows that song. Changing the lyrics to that song wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I look forward to singing it to my kids tomorrow. As a teacher, you can't think about how goofy doing something might make you look. You have to do what's best for the kids. 8 days in and my kids already know I'm strange, so I don't care. Kids learn information easier when they hear it in song form. Let's hope this works!

No comments:

Post a Comment