Saturday, February 16, 2013

An Excerpt From my New Book

Below, you will read the introduction to Cleanup in Aisle 4: Grocery Store Don'ts. I started the publishing process on CreateSpace today. I ran into a small roadblock. When I uploaded the cover, some of the words of the title would cut off. I contacted my illustrator and he is going to fix the problem and have the new cover to me by tomorrow.  In the mean time, enjoy the introduction!
 
Introduction



         Grocery shopping is a long, dreaded process. To start, you may have to get your kids ready by getting their coats on and buckling them into your car. Then you have to drive to the store, fight through traffic, listen to screaming kids, find a parking spot, find a cart, walk into the store, find an employee to see if the store has a certain product, get through the always crowded produce section at the front of the store, choose a number to wait in line at the deli, freeze yourself in the frozen food aisle no matter what time of year it is, listen to your kids complain the entire time you are in the store, listen to them beg you for candy, get weird looks from other customers as you tell your kids no, find a line that isn’t too long, let someone ahead of you that only has one item, unload your groceries, talk to the cashier, possibly talk to another customer that always seems to talk to everyone because they are lonely, bag your own groceries, put the bags into your cart, pay for your groceries, walk outside, figure out where you parked your car, unload the groceries into your trunk, find somewhere to put your cart back, or just leave it in another parking spot, drive home, wait in traffic again, unlock the door to your house with bags full of groceries in your hand while holding your child in your other arm, take the items out of the bags, and finally find places in your pantry, refrigerator, and freezer to put them in! Yeah, it’s quite the process.
Not to mention the fact that numerous people touch your groceries throughout the entire process such as manufacturers, people that put the items on the truck, people that take the items off the truck, stockers, customers that touch them, then put them back on the shelf, yourself, your cashier that scans them, and the bagger that bags them. It’s extremely gross when you think about the number of people that touch your groceries, especially your fresh produce. I’m here to explain how this process can go much more smoothly for you, one step at a time from the moment you leave your house until the time you get back home. I have worked in a grocery store in the front-end department for over nine years. I have encountered many customers and have many stories to share with you. Every story I share is 100% true. I will not put the name of the grocery store that I work at, or the name of any customers or employees to protect their identities. Although I will list things that you should never do in a funny way, I am very serious about them. With that said, I would be a hypocrite to say I have never done any of these “don’ts” myself as a shopper. I am sure I have done many of the things that I am telling you never to do. However, as someone who works in a grocery store, I cannot stand when customers do the things listed in this book. You are about to read one of the most important books you have ever read. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment