Wednesday, February 6, 2013

Athletes Retiring and Coming Back

Yup, another blog post about sports.  It annoys me when athletes retire as players and then come back the next season or a few years later as players again.  If you retire, you are done!  I have no problem with them retiring as a player then coaching or becoming an analyst or announcer.  That's fine.  I completely understand that you need to stay in the sport you love.  Even though Michael Jordan was the greatest basketball player ever, it still aggravated me that he retired and then came back.  It was weird that he went from basketball to baseball back to basketball.  Brett Favre is another great player in his sport that said he was retiring and then ended up coming back on a different team the following season.  I'm not sure why it bothers me so much.  I have seen teachers retire and then come back as a substitute teacher.  That's different because they are coming back on their terms part time.  I also have no problem if a player says he is retiring because he has an illness, then comes back from retirement if he gets healthy.  That makes a great story.  I shouldn't be mad at this because there are enough illegal performance enhancing drugs that athletes are taking to grind my gears.  Retiring and coming back should be the least of my worries.  I'm so passionate about sports and this is just one of the many opinions/problems I have regarding sports.

No comments:

Post a Comment