Friday, February 1, 2013

Struggling Reader and Writer

This is a continuation of last night's post.  Growing up, I absolutely hated reading.  When I was very young, I loved Good Night Moon and Green Eggs and Sam.  That was about it.  My mom was in charge of parents as reading partners in our elementary school.  It was a program where we had to read 15 minutes a night 5 days a week if we participated.  Obviously, I had no choice but to participate since my mom ran the program.  It was always a struggle to get me to read each night.  My mom would set the timer and it would be the longest 15 minutes of my life.  I never read.  I had the book open and pretended to read.  I was also in remedial reading.  That's a class that pulls out struggling readers for more help.  I couldn't stand that either.  I was always a level or two lower than everyone else in my grade at reading.  All of a sudden in 7th grade, I woke up and started to love reading.  My mom bought me the Harry Potter books and the rest is history.  I eventually read more and more and wish I could read more often today.  It's amazing the changes that can happen in life.  Who would have thought I would go from someone that hated reading to loving it as well as writing everyday?  Thank you J. K. Rowling for changing my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment