Friday, January 31, 2014

Easiest Start to Teaching Career Ever

My official start date was last Tuesday because last Monday was Martin Luther King Jr. Day. The kids didn't come to school until Thursday. I guess they give them some extra time off between quarters. I was supposed to work 8-3 Tuesday and then go to first year teacher training from 3:30-8. I went to training and they said we would leave by 5 because there was a chance of snow. We also had a two hour delay the next day. I went to work at 10 the next morning. Thursday was my first day with the students and then I had training that got out at about 6:30 instead of 8. It was 68° on Monday. By 3:30 that day, I got a text saying we were closed Tuesday and Wednesday because it was supposed to snow. It didn't start snowing until Tuesday night. I was supposed to have training Tuesday night but didn't. At 1:30 Wednesday, I got a text saying that there was no school on Thursday. It had been done snowing since early Wednesday morning. I was also supposed to have training Thursday. It snowed a total of about 3 inches. Then I found out Thursday that the kids didn't have school today and the teachers had a two hour delay. I worked from about 10-1:15 and then left. In 9 school days, I worked with the students a total of three days! Although the first week was very busy and tiring, I could not have asked for an easier start to my teaching career. Of course we will have to make those four days up sometime soon. I will worry about that when it happens. This was not the start I envisioned when I dreamed of being a teacher. Part of being a teacher is showing extreme flexibility because everything is very unpredictable.

No comments:

Post a Comment