Sunday, June 24, 2012

4 states, 1 day

Well, somehow, my friend dragged me into going to New Hampshire with him and his brother to get fireworks.  Worst...idea...EVER... The reason I went was because I wanted to do something different and get out of the house.  Let me tell you something.  This was DEFINITELY different for me!  My friend's GPS was not working.  We took the GPS app that comes with my iPhone.  The guy driving said, "Get the directions for the walking route.  It's the quickest way."  Oh wait, that was the worst idea ever!!!!  None of us were thinking about the fact that the walking route would bring us through side roads and one way streets because this route means we would be on our feet and not in a CAR!  I cannot tell you how many u-turns we took.  We also drove through so many sketchy side roads, many dirt roads that could only fit one car yet somehow two were able to squeeze in, and one way streets that we drove on in the OPPOSITE WAY!  To say I was scared shitless was an understatement.  Not only did my friend's brother drive on dirt roads that looked like one way streets, the speed limit was 35 and he was going 70!  At one point, he transitioned from a side road to the main road and started to lose control of the truck and I almost lost control of my bladder.  I still have not mentioned the fact that if we took the NORMAL roads the trip should have been 80 miles and about an hour and a half to get there.  At almost 7 o'clock (after being in the car for three hours...), my friends mom calls and he is explaining that my phone is almost dead because of the GPS app, his brothers phone is near dead, and his own phone does not have a GPS.  We had just passed a sign for Troy, yet neglected to take that.  After my friend talks to his mom, we decide to turn around and head home via I91 and I90.  No side roads!  We look that up on the GPS and we were 95 miles away from home.  Yes, 95 miles away from home even though it should have been an 80 mile trip!  We also still had at least 40 miles from that point to the original fireworks shop.  About 15 miles into our trip home, we passed another fireworks shop.  Because my friend's brother had not done enough u-turns today, he did another one and we spent about 20 minutes in there buying $250 worth of explosives.  I bought zero!  I have no interest in that junk.  As I said earlier, I just went for the ride.  After that rendezvous, we headed home.  At about 9:30, after 5 and a half hours of driving, we get home SAFELY with the fireworks...WOW!  I am happy to report that I am home safely, in one piece, with clean pants!  Phew!  There's nothing like going from New York to Vermont to Massachusetts to New Hampshire and then back again just for some fireworks that will last half an hour!

No comments:

Post a Comment