Sunday, June 3, 2012

Productive Day!

I have so much to write (type) today!  I hope not to bore you during this lengthy post.  First of all, work at the grocery store wasn't too bad for once!  The five hour shift actually went by rather quickly!  However, many months ago, I made a list of about 40 different things that customers should not do at a grocery store with hopes to get the list to 101.  That did not happen.  Instead of getting to 101, I came up with the idea today to write a compilation of stories from the grocery store that incorporate the 40 something rules I came up with.  I already typed out the beginning ideas of this book in my iPhone notes.  I look forward to writing this book as well as the sequel to The Teacher That Didn't Teach this summer. 

Anyways, lately, I have done a lot of reading (skimming) about publishing books and making my fictional writing better.  Some authors said that writers should not tell people what they are working on because it will not be as authentic.  By telling you what I wrote above, I haven't given too many details about what exactly is going to be in my next three (planned) books.  Everybody has different ideas.  Another thing I read today was that I should write out the first draft of a book really fast and then go back and edit it.  Since my mom writes reviews on technology toys that she gets, I asked for her opinion about that.  She said everyone is different.  Since she writes short pieces, she edits at the end.  I told her that I like to write a chapter, then edit the chapter.  I think it would be too daunting of a task to write the entire book and then edit the whole thing.  However, once the entire manuscript is done, I read the finished book and make any more edits that I need to.

One other thing I read over the last few weeks was that writers should utilize every moment they have to write.  Take notes here and there.  I have started to do that.  On the other hand, I cannot write a page to my book for a few minutes and then walk away.  I want to find a time that I can sit down and write the entire chapter.  When I wrote my first book, I stupidly would write a paragraph or two, have good ideas to finish the chapter, but would walk away and then come back another time.  Stupid, stupid, stupid!  If I walk away in the middle of the chapter, it ruins the flow!  Therefore, I don't want to write any part of my book if I only have 5 minutes here and there.  I am pretty upset that I started working on my second book during April break.  I wrote three chapters and edited them during that time.  I haven't even opened the document since then!  That's a major problem!  Now that I have skimmed through all of the books about publishing, editing, and writing that I wanted to read, I HOPE to start working on my summer projects shortly.

I went to a pitchapalooza in April where I was able to "pitch" my book to the judges.  I had to buy the judges book to pitch.  Since I bought their book, they are giving me a FREE 20 minute phone consultation where they will help me with anything I ask!  They normally charge $90 for that!  $90 to talk for 20 minutes!  Insane.  Anyways, I set that up for Tuesday.  I wrote down several topics I want to discuss with them.  I am sure it will be a productive 20 minutes and not a moment longer.  I mean, I only had one minute to pitch my book and they had the timer going for every author that pitched!

LAST thing I will elaborate on tonight... (maybe)  As you have (hopefully) read in my post a few days ago, I submitted query letters to 6 agents.  In the book I just finished, they mentioned a website that I can narrow my search down to find MORE agents that fit my specific needs.  I did a search and found only 190 agents that meet my search!  It looks like I have more letters to send out!

OH YEAH!  I forgot to mention (see I'm a writer, so I don't know how to shut up even though I said my last topic would be the last I would write about for tonight...WRONG!)  My local newspaper, the Times Union, had a section today with books written by local authors.  They mentioned my book and a brief description about it!  Very cool!  Ok, I PROMISE I'm done.  I have a busy week ahead of me at work ending with a field day where students will have the opportunity to dunk me in a tank full of water!  Can't wait!  good night!

No comments:

Post a Comment