Sunday, July 29, 2012

No magic for USA swimming tonight

4 years ago, at around 11 o'clock at night, I watched the US  4x100 men's freestyle relay swim against a France team that was supposed to "smash" them.  I will never in my life forget that finish.  My parents were in bed (I found out later, they were awake and watching).  My younger brother was asleep downstairs.  I was upstairs in my room watching, trying as hard as possible to be quiet because I thought everyone else was asleep.  When Cullen Jones swam the 3rd leg of the relay and finished, I thought there was no way US could come back and beat France.  There were down by about 1 second (which is a large margin in swimming).  After Jason Lezak swam the 1st 50 meters, I knew a silver medal was imminent for US.  Then, he started swimming harder than ever before.  I could no longer keep quiet.  I started screaming, "GO! GO! GO!"  Unbelievably, he came back and out touched the France team by .08 and kept Michael Phelp's hopes alive for 8 gold medals!  I had chills throughout my body watching that inspirational comeback.  I randomly watch that movie on YouTube and still get chills four years later.  Tonight, US was the underdog again.  This time, Australia was supposed to beat them.  US had a body length lead after 2 swimmers.  The anchor, Ryan Lotche went in with a slight lead.  On the last 50 meters, the guy from France started picking up his pace and passed Lochte and won by about half a second.  This night went to France.  Australia didn't even manage to get a bronze medal.  It was still a courageous effort by US.  I was happy that I didn't hear or see the results before I saw the event like happened yesterday with the 400 IM when Lotche got the gold medal.  There is a lot more swimming in the Olympics for Phelps to break the record for most Olympic medals.  He needs just 2 more and has I think 5 more events to do it.  GO PHELPS!

Watch the video below to see the magic that happened in 2008.

No comments:

Post a Comment