Thursday, July 12, 2012

patience, perseverance, and never giving up

I might have spoken too soon when I made the title of yesterday's post.  Today was not a good day.  I am working in the technology department helping out for the summer.  This is only my third day working with them this summer.  I got there at 8, only to listen to four of them argue with each other about what me and the other helper should be doing today and how we should be doing in.  While that was happening, we were sitting there doing nothing.  Then, they asked me to go through the routine of updating computers that they showed me how to do yesterday.  When I competed that, one of my higher ups says in a high pitched voice, "Wow, good job!  You did it!"  She made me feel like a 5 year old.  She sounded shocked that I could do that task.  This isn't the first time she has done that.  Finally, they sent us out to a school with one of the higher ups to help us.  We had a checklist of 25 things to do in each room.  I am not exaggerating!  Once the rooms were cleaned by the janitors, we had to plug in all of the computers, clean the dust off of the table they are on (shouldn't the janitors do that?), tie up cords better, clean the keyboards, mice, screens, and then run the standard updates on the computers.  However, we had to do each set of updates twice because they never worked the first time.  Then we had to do a few more updates that we send to each computer from our laptops (it's hard to explain without showing you).  We also had to plug in the projector and document camera to make sure they didn't magically break in the two weeks they haven't been used.  If the room had a TV/VCR/DVD player, we had to make sure that worked, too.  I think that was all we had to do.  Oh wait, we then had to go into the inventory database and check off the check list of things I just told you for each computer, and make sure each piece of equipment listed in the database was in the room (even though we did inventory a few months ago).  Three people were in each room.  It took us almost an hour to complete everything in each room.  We got through four rooms today.  We have probably 30ish rooms in each of the 6 buildings.  They told us to go faster.  Luckily, we had a higher up tech that told the other higher ups that in order to be thorough, it takes a lot of time to do each room.  I was beyond frustrated at the end of the day because I don't have patience for doing this type of work or being talked to like I am 5.  I completely understand the importance of plugging in all of the wires neatly and making sure everything is updated.  However, treat me like I am 25 and know what I am doing and not 5!  I feel like I would have rather worked at the grocery store this summer instead of doing this.  That's how much I am not liking this job so far.  It is very unorganized.  They have no set hours.  You basically come when you can and leave when you want.  I am not sure how much more I can take of this.  I know I won't quit because I somehow have an extremely high tolerance for stuff like this.  Someone saw the frustration in me today and said, "How can you become a teacher if you have no patience for this?"  I said having patience for kids and having patience for this are two completely different things!  I need to keep busy, not sit around listening to people argue for two hours.  At least when I start again on Tuesday, I go directly to the school to pick up where I left off, instead of going to our usual starting spot to listen to them argue for awhile.  It was especially hard cleaning in one room where my former 5th grade teacher just retired.  His replacement has already put some of her stuff into the room.  That made me angry because I wish it was me taking over the classroom and not her.  I feel absolutely useless and unaccomplished with my two degrees.  I am only a computer aide and not a teacher.  I spent a long time venting to my mom today about how I still don't feel like I'm doing enough to get a job even though I have applied all over the country (yes literally).  People don't understand how frustrating it is to be 25, living at home, have 2 degrees, and have a job that doesn't pay well and is far from my dream job.  Yes, I know, people tell me all of the time that I should be happy I have a job.  Somehow, though, I will make it because I persevere and I never give up.  No one said this was going to be easy.  I know I can't just wake up and expect everything to fall my way.  It's just frustrating that I have no control in terms of hearing back from schools that I applied for and getting interviews or actually getting that dream teacher job.  Tomorrow will be a much needed day off from the job (only to work at my dads store...)

No comments:

Post a Comment