Wednesday, April 10, 2013

I Don't Want to be Here

I'm pretty sure I've talked about this topic before, but it's worth repeating. Yesterday, a first year teacher came into my room with her class. She said, "I don't want to be here right now." Then she said something like, "I'm sure no one ever wants to be here." It really aggravates me when people say that, especially a first year teacher! If you don't want to teach, I'll gladly take your job off your hands for you. She said it loud enough for kids to hear. I'm not sure if any kids heard her, but still. That's not something you should be saying. I didn't respond when she said no one wants to be here. We work in an excellent district with an outstanding staff and very well-behaved students (for the most part). There are thousands of teachers that have it much worse than we do. Do I complain about my job sometimes? Of course I do. However, I would never say that I don't want to be there, at least not my job at school. I always say I don't want to be at work at the grocery store. I don't say it in front of customers, though. I completely understand that finding other jobs is extremely difficult right now. Maybe this person isn't in her ideal job. I don't know her life story. She should be happy because she is working in such a great school with amazing people. I would love to have her job. If you show a negative attitude as a teacher working with kids, that attitude will more than likely rub off on them. We need positive people in this profession. With that said, I am not trying to bash this teacher at all. I really like her. I just didn't like the comment she said. As everyone has said to me, "At least you have a job."

No comments:

Post a Comment