Monday, July 15, 2013

Embarrassing Anniversary

On July 15, 2003, I started working at the grocery store. That's right, I've officially been working there for a decade. That's 10 long, painful, dreadful years doing the same job. The only reason I know the exact date I started working there is because on my pay stub every week it says hire date: 7/15/03. I remember minimum wage in 2003 was $5.15. That's how much money I expected to make. I was very excited when I learned I would make $6 an hour. I quickly learned that that wasn't a lot of money. I continue to work there only because it's my pocket money for the week. When I get a teacher job that pays a lot better than what I'm making now, I will quit in a heartbeat. Until then, I will continue to lose my soul at the grocery store. I am one step closer to being a lifer there. It better not come to that!

No comments:

Post a Comment