Thursday, July 18, 2013

Opening Day

Tomorrow is opening day of horse racing at Saratoga. They will be celebrating 150 years of racing this year! Anyone who knows me well will be shocked to read the next sentence. I do not think they should have racing tomorrow. You read that correctly, I think racing should be canceled tomorrow. It's going to be 95° and humid all day. That's not a safe environment for horses or the 30,000 fans that will be there tomorrow. I walk in this weather and sweat like crazy. How do you expect horses to run 3/4 of a mile up to 1-1/8 in this weather without getting injured? I know they are adding lots of water and ice and veterinarians to make sure everything runs smoothly. I also know that if they closed tomorrow, Saratoga would lose out on a ton of money. That's the main reason racing comes to the capital region. Money. Everything is about money. They would be upsetting everyone if they cancel tomorrow. I know thousands of people make plans to come on opening day. You also have to consider the safety of everyone and animals involved. People go to the race track and drink alcohol. That's the worst thing people can do in this weather. I know track officials can't control that. My wallet wouldn't mind if the track was closed tomorrow either. They have already said they aren't going to cancel the races tomorrow. I hope everyone and all of the horses come back tomorrow healthy and without any injuries!

No comments:

Post a Comment