Monday, November 19, 2012

Social Secuirty and Retirement...Or Not

The other day, my dad and I were talking about how much money you can get and when you can get it for social security.  This year, President Obama passed a law to lower the percentage taken out of everyone's paycheck for social security so that we would have more money to spend.  Starting in January, it's back to the higher percent before the law was put into place.  That means our paychecks will be slightly less money again.  I believe in about 2042, more money will be going out of the social security fund than will be going on.  This is not good for me!  The age you can start collecting social security is 63.  However, they will not give you 100% of the money per month that you are allotted if you collect at that age.  The age for that is I think my dad said 69.  He told me how much he would get if he were to start collecting at 63, 66, and 69.  It was a huge difference per month.  The higher the age you start collecting, the more per month you will get.  Basically, by the time I'm that age, social security will be either gone, or the age to collect will be about 75.  That's why two years ago, I started saving for retirement.  That fund I started has nothing to do with the retirement system I joined at work.  Unfortunately, I am in tier 5 for teaching instead of tier 4.  I started working while in tier 4.  However, I didn't fill out retirement forms until tier 5 came out.  If I was in tier 4, I would be putting in 3% of my paycheck each week for 10 years, then my employer would match that 3% the rest of my career.  With tier 5, I am putting in 3.5% of my paycheck in until I retire.  That's a huge difference.  As of now, I don't get health insurance out of my paycheck.  When I'm 26, I will have to.  That will significantly lower the money that goes into my pocket.  I know how lucky I am to have already started saving for retirement at my age.  Most people my age only worry about paying off their college loans.  However, I know how unlikely it is for me to have any other source of income when/if I retire when I'm older.  Social security will more than likely not be there.  I am seriously scared for what our country faces in the future in terms of money and resources.  It sure isn't looking good. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment