Tuesday, January 15, 2013

College

This post is similar, yet different than my post that I did about a month ago on SUNY Potsdam and St. Rose.  They say that college is the best four years of your life.  If that was the best four years of my life, what do I have to look forward to?  I really hope it wasn't the best years of my life.  Many people spend way more than four years trying to get a four year degree.  Is it the best five, six, or seven years of their lives?  Don't get me wrong, I had a lot of fun in college.  I wouldn't say it was the best years of my life, though.  I hope not!  College is a place that you learn more about yourself than about whatever you are studying.  Learning about yourself is more important that what you're studying in college, too.  You learn about your likes and dislikes.  You learn how to live on your own.  You meet so many unique people with different backgrounds.  Although I was and still am shy, one of my favorite parts about college was meeting so many different people that you would never meet anywhere else.  Being from a suburban district, I never met people that weren't as well off as me.  I never met people from towns where everyone knows everyone.  It was different.  College is a place where you more than likely will make a lot of mistakes.  It's where you try things for the first time.  It's definitely a place to experiment and take risks.  Looking back, I definitely would have done some things differently.  However, if I did, I most definitely would not be the same person I am today.  What if I never met such and such person?  What if I didn't step outside my room the exact moment one of my residents did?  If I never met some people or hung out with certain people in college, I can't even begin to imagine how different my life would be.  Would it be different for the better?  It's very hard to say.  Maybe not, because I surely learned a lot from the experiences I had.  I am so happy that I went away for college instead of commuting.  I highly recommend going away for college so that you can experience everything.  You won't regret it.  I don't regret anything I did in college or anything I do now.  I just learn from my mistakes and move on.  I miss college a lot, but am glad that that stage in my life is over.  Time to tackle new challenges that life will throw my way.

No comments:

Post a Comment