Friday, January 25, 2013

Your Job is Easy

We had this discussion today in the faculty room.  So many people say that a teaching job is easy because the kids are out before 4 everyday and we have summers off.  I'd like to invite anyone that isn't a teacher to do our job for one week and get back to us.  They don't realize the hours of preparation that goes in before school, during school, after school, and during vacations.  They don't understand that we are molding minds for the future or that we have to maintain order of 20+ kids in a room at all times.  We are responsible for their every move.  With that said, I respect everyone that has any other type of job.  My major in college was Childhood Education.  Your major was in something else.  If you say I couldn't do your job for a week, I believe you.  That's why I don't roll my eyes if someone tells me their job is hard.  I wouldn't know unless I did that job.  We all have very hard jobs in our own way.  A common myth of education is that we have summers off and get out early everyday.  We also do work at all hours of the day and typically work during the summer.  It reminds me of high school.  I told people my dad owns a liquor store.  They automatically assumed he is an alcoholic.  Yes, my dad runs his own business, works 60+ hours a week, orders wine and liquor, pays all the bills, pays his employees, and builds an excellent rapport with his customers while keeping the store open for over 40 years.  He is definitely an alcoholic.  Let's get one thing straight.  I respect everyone for the job that they do and will not question how easy or hard it is.  Every job out there is a job that has to get done by someone, no matter how easy or hard it might be.  Note: This post is not directed at anyone that bothered me.  It was just an interesting discussion today in the faculty room.

No comments:

Post a Comment