Thursday, January 10, 2013

Kindle vs. Hard Copy Book

I used to never want a kindle.  One of the main reasons why I didn't want a kindle is because at the time, I would check books out of the library and not buy any.  I didn't want to buy any books on a kindle.  I didn't want to spent $79 on a device and then buy more books.  I knew there were many free books.  However, I also knew the books I wanted to read weren't free.  Then in late 2011 or early 2012, my mom, who has Amazon Prime, borrowed the Hunger Games books for her kindle.  I wanted to read them.  She shockingly let me borrow her kindle.  I fell in love with it.  I loved how I didn't have to carry a big, bulky book.  I loved how light it was.  I loved how easy it was to use.  I loved how if I went outside and it was windy, I didn't have to worry about the pages blowing all over the place.  One thing I didn't like was that it is was harder to look back in the book to look something up.  I bought my kindle last March.  I have bought very few books on it.  I either get free ones, or I borrow them from my town library.  I still have about 50 books on it that I eventually want to read.  I highly doubt I will ever sit down and read all of them.  As an author, I notice that people are almost only buying ebooks now.  I have very few hard copy sales and a ton of kindle sales.  However, when I finished writing book one and two, I had to have a hard copy for myself.  Finishing book one and two was an incredible feeling.  Getting the actually hard copy in my hands was one of the best feelings I have ever had.  To see my hard work in published form is surreal.  There are so many words to explain it.  Satisfaction, a sense of accomplishment, ownership, and proud are a few  of many that I can think of.  I also bought my books for my kindle (only when it was free though!)  Now that I have a kindle, I never want to read a hard copy book again.  I still do read hard copy books on occasion.  I first try to get that book for free on kindle or borrow it from a library in kindle form.  If I can't get it that way, I'll read the hard copy.  A lot of people say they won't use a kindle because, "There's no better feeling than holding a book."  I love reading, but don't have that feeling, haha!  What do you prefer?

No comments:

Post a Comment