Thursday, January 3, 2013

Extreme Couponing

I want to start off by saying that I officially hit 3,000 views yesterday!  Thank you to everyone that takes valuable time out of your day to read this very important blog.  Now, on to today's topic.  Yesterday, I turned on the TV to tape something (I know, I shouldn't have because of my New Years Resolution to be more productive and watch less TV).  It was on a station that was showing "Extreme Couponing".  I have heard of the show but have never watched it.  It's a show that shows how ordinary people clip coupons, shop, and pay almost nothing for their entire grocery bill.  I've often called my mom an extreme couponer.  I now take that back.  She is not even remotely like an extreme couponer.  I have no problem with people using coupons.  You really can save a ton of money.  When I find good coupons for my store for something I need or often eat (which as we all know, is a lot of food), I will use them.  However, these extreme couponers are absolutely nuts!  These people buy over $1,000 worth of groceries and spend maybe a penny.  One person even got money back!  This one lady bought 59 bottles of BBQ sauce and 78 boxes of cat food, in addition to everything else she bought!  She only donated 3 boxes of cat food to an animal shelter.  Her basement seriously looked like a grocery store.  These people get coupons from multiple newspapers, friends, and the Internet.  They obviously get many coupons for the same item.  They go to a store that automatically doubles coupons and they wait for the item to go on sale so that they can get it for free.  These people have saved many thousands of dollars a year by doing this.  However...they literally have to spend hours upon hours a day searching for coupons and cutting them out.  They have to figure out what they "need" and how much to get.  They need to do the math and figure out how little they are going to spend.  They then have to go to the store and spend hours shopping.  One lady spent an hour a half at the register alone!  Then they get all nervous that they added something wrong and will pay too much.  Then they have to go home and put it all away.  It's literally a full time job!  I sat there watching yesterday with my jaw hitting the floor.  I cannot believe how much time and effort is spent doing something like this.  I truly think that if an "Extreme couponer" came through my line, I'd probably walk out of the store and quit.  I would not have the patience to deal with him or her.  I feel like I should add that to my book, but probably won't.  People never cease to amaze me!

No comments:

Post a Comment