Saturday, May 18, 2013

Attendance Just Went Down About 80,000 people

Every year I get excited about the chance of seeing a triple crown winner in horse racing. Last year after I'll Have Another won the Kentucky Derby, I didn't think he would win the Preakness, yet he did. Then he was scratched from the Belmont due to an injury. After Orb won the Kentucky Derby 2 weeks ago, I thought he was unstoppable. I thought that maybe we would finally have a triple crown winner in horse racing after a 35 year drought. Those dreams went down the drain this evening as Orb struggled to finish 4th. Most of the time when a horse loses, we look for excuses as to why he lost. I'm not sure there are any. You could argue that the 1 post hurt him. People always say the 1 post is the worst. However, in one prep race, he was in the 1 post with 8 other horses, just like today, and won. It's disappointing that we will not have the opportunity to see a triple crown winner yet again this year. My wallet wasn't too happy with me after the race either. If Orb won tonight, there would be well over 120,000 people at Belmont Park 3 weeks from today. Now you will be lucky to see 40,000 that day. There will be absolutely no hype this year for the Belmont. Of course I will still watch and bet it. I'd have to be deathly sick not to. I won't have the same interest though. At least I won't have the race on my mind for 21 straight days hoping to see that triple crown. Maybe next year...

No comments:

Post a Comment