Monday, October 7, 2013

Fire Prevention Week

In honor of fire prevention week, our school had a member from the fire department come and talk to the kids about ways to prevent fire. While watching the presentation, it reminded me of the time I saved my house. I can't remember how old I was. I had to have been between 9-12 I'd say. It was a Saturday morning. My two brothers and I got up and went downstairs fairly early. My mom eventually called us upstairs. My older brother had put a waffle in the toaster and forgot about it. At that time, our toaster wasn't working. You had to take the waffle out when you thought it was done, otherwise it would keep cooking. While we were upstairs not falling back asleep, I smelled something burning. I went downstairs and saw the waffle on fire in the toaster. I immediately turned off the toaster and eventually the fire died down. If I hadn't gone downstairs and turned off the toaster, our house would have been toast. Although my mom can't stand our house because of all of the money she and my dad have spent on it this year because it's so old, I'm sure she is happy I saved the house and probably saved my parents hundreds of thousands of dollars.

No comments:

Post a Comment