Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Becoming an Author

When people find out that I wrote two books, they ask me if my ultimate dream is to become an author.  They also ask me how I came up with the idea.  My honest answer to the first question is no.  I do not want to become a full time author.  I have wanted to teach elementary school since I was in 6th grade.  Even though there is APPR and many other issues in education, I still want to be a teacher.  To answer the second question...I know it's cliche, but the first book just kind of happened.  I sat down one day and wanted to do something I've never done before.  I thought of a title for a book and went with the idea.  Coming up with the names was the most fun, yet most challenging part.  I did a lot of research of funny (appropriate) names.  It took a lot of time and a lot of planning.  I have spent hours and hours researching, outlining, writing, editing, formatting, and searching for publishers to take on my book.  Would I love to be a famous author that sells thousands of books?  Of course!  If that were to happen would I want to continue writing instead of teaching?  I don't think so, but I can't answer yes or no because I'm not in that situation.  Do I wish I hadn't spent so much time with the entire process, including looking for a publisher since I haven't sold many copies.  Absolutely not!  I would not trade the experience I have had creating a book from the ground up for anything.  The fact that I was a struggling reader in elementary school, took remedial reading classes, and went to summer school twice for reading makes this accomplishment that much more special for me.  The feeling of satisfaction once my book was finished is one of the best feelings in the world!  The moral of this post is to do what you love regardless of how much money or fame you could potentially get.  Don't do it for money.  Do it because it makes you happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment