Tuesday, October 30, 2012

How much money have I touched in my life?

I have worked with a lot of numbers tonight.  I had to go to my dad's liquor store to help him count bottles.  I'm watching the World Series of Poker main event final table where the winner gets over $8.5 million.  I'm looking at horse races for this weekend, which involves looking at numbers to assess how I think the horse might do.  It got me thinking.  Since I have worked 9 years at the grocery store, and probably about that many years (only about a dozen times a year ish) at my dads store, I wonder how much cash I have touched in my life.  When I was younger, I used to go in to my dads store on Sunday's and help him count the money.  I would bundle up $20 bills in stacks of $1,000.  Although more and more people use credit, I still handle tons of cash at both stores that I work at.  I have definitely touched hundreds of thousands of dollars.  I touch thousands of dollars each shift, even more around holiday time.  It's interesting to think about the amount of money I have touched throughout the years.  I wouldn't mind handling the $8.5 million that a poker player is going to win tonight.  That will be more money than I will ever touch in my life time, won't come anywhere near making that much money either.

No comments:

Post a Comment