Thursday, September 5, 2013

Rosh Hashanah

About a week ago, a Jewish teacher at my school invited me to services and the after services feast at her house for Rosh Hashanah. I had told her last year that I am Jewish but don't practice anything. I thought about it for awhile and decided to just come to the feast. I could not handle many hours of service. Her family did prayers and readings that I had never heard before throughout the meal. I just kindly sat there in silence while they did their thing. The first course was salad and gefilte fish. I politely declined to have any gefilte fish. Then there was beef, mashed potatoes, sweet potatoes, and a noodle dish. There was also challah bread, which was delicious even though it was gluten free. All of the food was gluten and dairy free because that's the way the family eats. I passed on the soy coconut milk ice cream afterwards. I shockingly had a turkey burger and was shocked I didn't dislike it. I came in to this event wanting to try different things and I surely did that. It was definitely a unique experience that I was happy to have.

No comments:

Post a Comment