Monday, December 24, 2012

Chrsitmas Eve Traditions

We have had lasagna on Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember.  We used to have family over every Christmas Eve.  Now it's just the five of us.  We have had just the five of us for many, many years now.  My dad works 60 plus days in a row and we don't need the added stress of having company over the day before Christmas.  On Christmas day, we always go over to my aunt's (my dad's sisters) house for dinner.  We started a new tradition three years ago.  I have no idea how this started.  I think it was my younger brother who said that year, "Let's watch the Lion King."  That is a movie we own on VHS.  I know, you probably don't know what a VHS is.  That's a movie on tape that plays in a VCR.  They had these before DVD's and DVD players.  Now every year on Christmas Eve, we watch a VHS movie.  Two years ago we watched The Big Green.  Last year we watched Aladdin.  Tonight, we watched The Sandlot.  I love The Sandlot!  It was funny when I was a kid.  It was even funnier now.  As you get older, you tend to pick up on the small things in movies.  It was a lot of the simple lines that cracked me up.  "You're killing me smalls!"  I'm not sure what VHS we will watch next year.  Somehow, we always seem to choose them a year in advance instead of procrastinating.  I suggested the Mighty Ducks.  It saddens me that kids these days don't know the amazing sports movies that ruled my life back in the 90's when I was a kid.  Everyone has their own little holiday traditions.  What are some of yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment