Thursday, December 27, 2012

My Ideal Grade

I am certified to teach grades 1-6.  I have substitute taught every grade kindergarten to sixth grade multiple times each.  I have come to a clear decision as to what the perfect grade for me would be.  I'll start with the bottom and work my way up.  Naturally, every grade has its pros and cons.  First grade is a great grade to start molding their minds.  However, they are also a very high energy and maintenance group of youngsters.  I'm not sure I am sensitive enough to work with that age group.  In second grade, they also have a lot of energy and still are trying to work out what's right and what's wrong.  They are still a little too young for me.  Third graders start to understand more about what is expected of them in school.  This year especially, I have noticed that they like to challenge authority.  They aren't quite ready to understand my sarcasm at that age.  I think I could work with third grade, but it's not the best age group for me.  In fourth grade, they struggle with listening and following directions.  They really like to push to see how much they can get away with.  At this age, they start to understand sarcasm.  I could also work with fourth graders.  Fifth graders understand my strange sense of humor and love sarcasm.  It's a great age where most kids still enjoy learning and ask questions.  They are fairly subdued and do what the teacher asks them.  I absolutely love fifth grade and this would be the perfect grade for me to teach.  I also enjoy sixth graders.  However, since these kids are at the top of the school, they do not listen at all.  They are too busy focusing on anything but what the teacher has to say.  They really like to see how much they can get away with before a teacher gets angry.  It's natural at this age to test authority since they are just starting to understand the world around them.  Sixth grade is a very fun, yet challenging age of students to work with because they feel superior to the other grades.  They are looking forward to entering middle school and moving on.  I think I would enjoy any grade 3-6, but my ideal grade would be fifth.  I student taught 5th graders and absolutely love that age group.  Naturally, I am in no position to turn down any teaching job and will accept whatever grade a school gives me!

No comments:

Post a Comment