Monday, December 3, 2012

Drunk Driving

As you know, many small things irritate me.  However, two things that make me really lose my cool are bullying and drunk driving.  I've already posted about bullying.  It's now time to vent about drunk driving.  Our community was rocked over the weekend when a drunk driver hit another car from behind, killing two high school students and severely injuring two.  The driver was completely fine, though.  Every single person in my community was affected by this horrible tragedy.  All four students were high school seniors.  Three of them were from one school, one is from the high school in my district.  Historically, our two districts have been huge rivals.  However, they are rivals on the field and now a community and united off the field.  They were on their way home from a Siena game when a drunk driver nailed the back of the car.  The large SUV was an absolute mess.  It scares me because only about an hour earlier, I was on the same road coming home from the Siena game.  No matter how much you have had to drink in one night, it is too much to get behind the wheel!  You are putting so many lives at risk!  It's not worth it!  Your parents or friends will have no problem picking you up if you had too much to drink.  No one wants to deal with the alternative.  Unfortunately, two innocent lives were killed Saturday night because of someone that got behind the wheel after drinking too much alcohol.  I have driven to a party before with plans to not drink much.  However, I drank more than anticipated, and texted my brother to pick me up when he got out of work.  I picked up my car the next day.  It was inconvenient, but much safer.  I will not tell you not to drink, since I drink once in awhile myself.  However, I urge everyone to be smart about it and to stay away from the wheel when you have consumed any alcohol throughout the night.  This could have easily been avoided.  This tragedy is something the parents and community of the two that were killed will have to face for the rest of their lives.  They will never get over it.  The drunk driver will never get over what he did.  These kids were so young and had so much to live for.  DON'T DRINK AND DRIVE!

No comments:

Post a Comment