Wednesday, December 26, 2012

The Dreaded Question

When you were a kid and you saw family for the first time in awhile, they would always say, "I can't believe how big you are getting."  At least people in my family always did.  It was ridiculously annoying!  Now, the annoying phrase is, "How's the job search going?"  Several people I talked to the past couple of days do not understand my job title.  I am a full time computer aide.  That means I don't sub.  A few different people asked if I still sub while doing this job.  Um...I can't.  I am full time, which means I work the same hours as a teacher.  In fact, I have to fill out a time card for 8 hours each day.  Teachers are contracted from 8:05-3:15.  I am contracted 7:30-3:30.  Does that make sense?  Of course not.  Then one of my relatives said it was too bad I couldn't sub while doing this job.  Why?  I would make slightly less as a sub than I do now and it would be sporadic and all over the district.  I might not know where I am working until 6AM that morning or later.  The other annoying thing a few relatives and friends have said to me is, "Since you are already in the school, you are next in line for a teaching job, right?"  Wrong again!  Unfortunately, it doesn't work that way.  There is no "next in line".  I have to apply for a teaching job with 1,000 of my "closest friends".  Being in the district does not help at all.  It's all about teaching experience and I have none.  How can I get teaching experience if I can't get a job?  That is the million dollar question.  They don't count my job as teaching experience.  There are many teachers that have been laid off that are in much better position to get a job than me.  Basically, you have to know someone to get a job.  There is soooooo much nepotism is my district, it is ridiculous.  One teacher assistant I know is upset because her daughter (same age as me) can't get a permanent job in the district.  Hmmm, well she has gotten every leave position that has been available, including the one year leave positions for this year.  Cough nepotism cough.  I don't have that in my favor.  I have to and will earn my position as a teacher.

No comments:

Post a Comment