Friday, December 28, 2012

Laughter

Laughing is one of the most important things you can do in life.  It's very healthy to laugh each day.  Kids laugh at almost anything.  Adults don't seem to laugh very often.  I love laughing.  I often laugh at my own stupidity.  I also tend to laugh at serious situations.  I'm not so sure that's a good thing.  If something bad happened to me, I can sometimes laugh it off later that day.  A perfect example of this is on senior prom day.  I drove my car to a picnic and my friend asked how my car was running.  I said it was running perfectly fine.  Ironically, later that day, I went to pick up my vest for my tux.  I went to start my car at the mall and it didn't start.  I had to get it towed because the battery died.  I laughed at that right away.  Two days before winter break, I went into a teachers room to look at her laptop.  All of a sudden, she started laughing hysterically trying to tell me a story and I could not make out a word of what she was saying.  Eventually, she was able to show me a gift a students parent got her.  It was a set of coasters with weird faces on them.  She was scared of these faces.  She started laughing about the gift and asked me how she was supposed to thank the parent.  I told her that she should be happy she didn't open the gift in front of the parent.  This again sent her into hysterics and we both couldn't stop laughing for a few minutes.  She then told me to watch out for strange coasters mysteriously being placed on my desk.  Again we laughed.  Laughing makes everything better at least for a moment.  As the late great college basketball coach Jim Valvano once said, "There are three things we should do in life everyday: 1. laugh 2. think 3. have your emotions moved to tears.  If you laugh, you think, and you cry everyday, that's a heck of a day."  Think about that when you aren't having a good day.  Think about something that made you laugh.  Find something or someone that will make you laugh.  I guarantee you it will make you feel better, even if it's only for a few seconds.  I love comedians for that reason.  I have a great sense of humor, love to joke, and love to laugh.  

No comments:

Post a Comment