Saturday, December 8, 2012

Reading

When I was younger, I could not stand reading.  My mom was in charge of a program called parents as reading partners.  Kids that participated in the program had to read 15 minutes a day I think 4 or 5 days a week.  Obviously since my mom started the program, I had to do it.  Every night, it was a struggle to get me to read.  My mom would set the timer for 15 minutes and it would be the longest 15 minutes of my life.  I would always pretend to read.  I'm not really sure why I hated reading so much.  I know part of it was because I struggled with it.  I was a remedial reading, which is a program that takes kids out of the classroom and gets them extra help with reading.  In seventh grade, my mom bought me the first three Harry Potter books.  I started reading them and could not put them down.  From then on, I started to love reading.  I finally found genres that I enjoyed reading.  Now, I read a lot of sports books, mysteries, and John Grisham lawyer books.  The only problem is I never seem to have time to read as much as I'd like to.  I checked two books out of the library on kindle.  I only have three weeks to read them.  I'm forcing myself to take time out of the day to read and I love it.  The only bad thing is that now I'm not writing besides this blog.  I'm hoping that over winter break, I will be able to work on my next book and get a good chunk of that done.  Until then, I'll enjoy some reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment