Monday, March 11, 2013

Concerts in Potsdam

I went to several concerts while I went to Potsdam. There were many recitals by students and faculty. I was even in a concert in the band in my first year. I stopped playing the saxophone after that year because it wasn't as fun as it was in high school and I didn't have time. I do miss playing the saxophone. Our music school would always have at least one big act a year. During Spring Fest, the college would get either a big name comedian or a fairly well-known band. My freshman year, the bands that came for Spring Fest were Motion City Soundtrack and Hello Goodbye. That concert was ok. It was very loud. I think we stood near the front. That didn't help! My junior year, Reel Big Fish came to town. I did not attend that concert. The big concert that came to the music school my freshman year was Medeski, Martin, and Wood. That's a group that I had never heard of. My friend from high school, who's a huge jazz fan, was a huge Medeski, Martin, and Wood fan. He came up to Potsdam and we went to see them. They play keyboard, drums, and the bass guitar. They put on a great show. That year, I took a music class. This class required me to attend certain concerts. MMW was one of the concerts I had to buy tickets for. I got some money back since it was a packaged deal I had to buy for that class with all of the concerts and I had already bought MMW tickets way back. We had to see a group called the Portland Taiko. They were an outstanding percussion group. The types of drums they used were very unique. That's a show that you have to watch in person to really experience and appreciate the music they made. I went to see one group at Potsdam all of the time. They were the Potsdam Pointercounts. They are the all male, a cappella group. A cappella is when you sing without using any instruments and do a lot of beat boxing. This group was amazing! They sang many current songs. They entered many competitions and did very well. I saw them almost every time they performed. One group I was hoping would come to Potsdam was Bela Fleck and the Flecktones. Naturally, they did not come when I went to school. They did about 2 years ago, though (of course)! They also came to Albany the next day, but I didn't go because I had no one to go with :(. I miss all of the A Cappella and other great music I saw at Potsdam.

No comments:

Post a Comment