Sunday, March 24, 2013

Cooking Camp

When I was maybe 11 or 12, I went to cooking camp for one week in the summer three summers in a row. My friend, who I haven't talked to in several months, texted me today to ask me the name of the restaurant where we went to cooking camp. I had completely forgotten about the camp until today. We went there for 8 hours a day the entire week. These chefs would teach us kids how to cook. At that point, I wanted to be a teacher for 10 months and a chef in the summer. Not to be arrogant, but I was one of the better chefs at the camp. I remember the chef saying that my friend and I were the only pair to perfect a recipe in all of the previous camps they had that summer. I still have the cookbooks that we created back then. They are collecting dust with the other cookbooks on the shelf that I never look at. I have thought about going back to school for cooking. There are many reasons that I am not going to do that though. 1. I don't want to spend money to go back to school. 2. I would have to go full-time, which means I can't work during the day. 3. I don't think I'm cut out to be a serious cook. I love cooking. I don't think I would enjoy cooking after going through the grinds and stresses that chefs go through on a daily basis. Maybe I think that way because I watch way too much reality TV on Food Network. I would love to learn how to cook new meals. I get bored of cooking the same stuff every night. Maybe I should just open my own restaurant since this teaching thing hasn't worked out yet. That's now three places I want to open. I'll open a restaurant, my own school, and my own publishing company. Then I'd have the best of all worlds!

No comments:

Post a Comment