Sunday, March 31, 2013

RIP Jean Bassett

I wrote about this incredible woman in my blog on November 27. This teacher has had cancer since September 2009. About two weeks ago, I learned that the tumors in her brain have grown and that she was in hospice care. I still thought she had about 2 more months to live because I know she is such a fighter. I learned a little later that she was in a wheelchair because she couldn't walk. I knew then that the end was near. I found out this afternoon that she passed away either this morning or last night. She was only about 50 years old. She has three kids that are a few years younger than my brothers and me. She was a 2nd grade teacher for a number of years. As I said in my first post about her, I met her through my internship. She was the first teacher I ever worked with. She is one of the reasons I remained in this profession. She gave me a book at the end of that year. I just pulled it out today and read the message she left me. "Shane, all through life, enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy!" -Mrs. Bassett. So simple yet so profound. The book she gave me is A Short Guide to a Happy Life by Anna Quindlen. I read it when she gave it to me. I'm going to read it again tonight or tomorrow. I have a simpler solution to life a happy life than this author does. Live the way Mrs. Bassett lived. I never saw her without a smile on her face. She had such a passion for everything she did. When I worked with her my senior year, I saw the love she had for each of her second graders. I know that when people die, people always say that he or she was an inspiration to everyone. Mrs. Bassett really was an inspiration to everyone! As stated previously, she fought for her life when she found out she had cancer. She didn't give up. She could have given up and died 4 years ago when she was diagnosed. She lived her life to the absolute fullest and then some. She cherished every moment spent with family and friends. I feel honored to have known her and worked with her. Her simple message will keep me fighting to get a teaching job because I know I will enjoy that. What's the point of life if you don't get to do what you enjoy? Thank you so much Mrs. Bassett for everything you have done. We have lost an amazing person way too soon. RIP.

No comments:

Post a Comment