Wednesday, March 6, 2013

NCAA Basketball Tournament 2003

I know I've been writing about concerts lately and now I'm switching topics. I have a lot more concerts to write about. However, I'm writing about the tournament because it leads to another concert I went to. Back in 2003, the sweet 16 of the NCAA college basketball tournament was played at my local sports arena. We tried to get tickets, but failed. They blocked out many thousand tickets for the college students of teams that were playing. Season ticket holders of our local sports got next dibs on tickets. Then the rest of us were thrown into a lottery. Our name was not called out of the lottery. That would have been an opportunity of a lifetime. Since our arena is considered to be very small compared to other venues that hold this event, it is very unlikely that the tournament will be held here again. A couple weeks before this tournament, our local news station was giving away 2 free tickets to anyone that could call in and answer a sports question correctly. They did this every day very early in the morning for a week. I got up everyday and called in while my dad looked up the answer. One day, I shockingly got through! My dad had not found the answer yet and gave me a name. It was wrong. Whenever we talk about opportunities blown in the family, we always bring up the double overtime playoff hockey game that we missed in Toronto and Adolph Rupp. That was the answer to the question we got wrong. My dad said he knew the answer, but gave me the wrong name. So sad! Instead of paying $120 per ticket for four of us to go to the three games that were played in the arena, my parents took that money and got us tickets to see Billy Joel and Elton John a few days after retuning from our cruise in April 2003. That's how this story relates to a concert. Tomorrow, you will read about Billy Joel and Elton John.

No comments:

Post a Comment